Sunday, November 16, 2008

Gonna Be a Long Week

Well, it's a strange thing to be sitting in front of the computer on a Sunday night after my kids are in bed. Instead of Keith and I getting some alone, down-time with each other, I'm waiting for a phone call from him telling me he arrived at his hotel in San Diego. I don't know how other women do it, those who have husbands that travel all the time. I'm having a hard time not thinking that this is going to be a horribly sad, lonely and tiring week. Truth be told, it probably will be, I just need to pray for an attitude adjustment and make it a point to have a great time with my kids. Still, I just want to let Keith know, I already miss you, honey!

On another note, I received my first calling in our new ward, the Sunbeam teacher. I actually heaved a huge sigh of relief once I heard that the bishopric wanted me to serve in Primary. There are definitely bigger callings that could give me much more stress. And once the new year comes around I will get to be Hillary's first Primary teacher which makes me very excited. So today I was sustained and put right to work. For those of you from my old ward you'll understand my shock and surprise as I walked into Singing/Sharing Time for the Jr. Primary and found only 20 children (4 in my class) and this included the CTR 8 class. Back in Lehi when I was the chorister I think there were close to that many sunbeams alone.

Anyway, things went pretty well although I came out feeling discouraged. I thought I had prepared a pretty good lesson but struggled to fill the time and to get participation from my class. And I really thought my recent previous experience as the Primary Chorister would give me a head start. Hopefully things will get better as we become better aquainted. I'm making a goal that during my excessive free time this week (at least at night) I'll take the time to read the scriptures and pray a little harder and maybe I'll gain a little extra insight to the children that I have been given a chance to teach. I would appreciate any words of wisdom any of you might have that might give me a little edge.

Another side note....I want to wish my wonderful sister Michelle a Happy ??th Birthday since I wasn't able to get in touch with her today :)

I wish you all a good week and hope that you are taking the time to prepare for the upcoming holiday by reflecting on the many blessings in your life. We received a challenge in Sacarament Meeting today to try reserve one prayer a week for thanksgiving only, not asking for any blessings, spending the time on your knees in gratitude only. I would share this challenge with you and pray it may make a difference in your lives.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My first calling in this ward was Sunbeam teacher. The little CD that comes with the manual was a lifesaver. You can get one from distribution, if your ward doesn't have it. One of the tracks has the kids act out going to the zoo and another on a walk. They loved it! I had to do all the actions, and felt like an idiot, but if I would get into it, they would too. They asked for it every week. It was definitely worth hauling a CD player to church because it took up just enough time to make the lesson fill up the rest. I thought they needed a little break after sharing time anyway. And church approved, so you can't beat that! Good luck! I know you'll do a great job.

Becky Rasmussen said...

Oh, dread! I'm with my little children all day every day. Primary is the one place that's hard for me. Although being in the Primary Presidency wasn't so bad. You're a good woman!

Crystal said...

Hi there, I saw your blog on Jenny's and I enjoy looking at other people's blogs...I hope you don't mind. I remember you from high school and then I noticed your hubby. Is he Keith Braithwaite from Lehi? Is so, I just wanted to say hello to you both! I went to Prom once with Keith. You have an adorable little family. Congrats on your new home. I like your blog. It's very cute. Have a great day! :)

j- said...

You'll do great! After i was the Primary Chorister I became Dalton's Primary teacher and found it hard to switch gears- going from preparing something to entertain 50 kids for 20 minutes- to preparing something to entertain 7-8 kids for 45 minutes is hard!!

Tiesha said...

Sammie, I love your new background I might steal it! :o)
Hey,don't forget to go to my blog (if you haven't already) and vote on what you think our baby's going to be. :o)

Tiffany and Mike said...

Having your husband gone stinks, huh? Mike is back to being gone almost every week :( You will do great in your new calling, you got put to work really fast!